Farmer Educator Job Opening in AK
Spring Creek Farm
Spring Creek Farm is located on Alaska Pacific University’s 750-acre Kellogg Campus in Palmer, Alaska. The campus hosts APU’s Masters in Outdoor and Environmental Ed Program, a small but expanding organic CSA farm, an interactive Children’s Garden, wooded nature trails and an experimental greenhouse. We are continuing to develop this Educational Farm to benefit our local community and school groups as well as students, staff and faculty of APU.
The Farmer Educator is responsible for the management of the Spring Creek Farm CSA and its involvement with educational programs. The Farm Educator will also be responsible for teaching a hands-on for-credit practicum class for summer farm interns, as well as farm-related workshops. Other educational opportunities may be available based on interest and capabilities. These would provide additional pay. The successful candidate will have a minimum of two years prior CSA experience and formal or non-formal teaching experience. A Masters degree is preferred.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day CSA farm management, including indoor starts, direct sowing, transplanting, tilling, weeding, watering, harvesting, cover cropping, farmer’s market sales and other farming duties as they arise.
- Teaching credit-bearing courses annually for students/interns.
- Oversight and training of assistants, students and interns as applicable.
- Development and updating of all necessary CSA administrative forms, marketing materials, risk management protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Budget oversight and generation of revenue sufficient to cover CSA operating costs and salaries.
- Collaboration with visiting APU classes, groups and public programs.
Salary: $ 25,000 with benefits for 10 months beginning February 1, 2012 and ending November 30, 2012 on a renewable annual contract.
Note- Salary is based upon projected farm income. In the event of crop failure or significant damage due to weather and/or pests (including moose) all reasonable efforts will be made to honor salary obligations
Housing: Provided in a one-bedroom 600 sq ft on-site apartment with full kitchen, full bath and washer-dryer. All utilities are included except telephone.
Application Deadline:Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
* Three references (reference letters accepted but not required)
* 1-5 page writing sample
Please forward applications to:
Steve Rubinstein, M.S. Ed.
Program Director, Spring Creek Educational Farm
AlaskaPacific University-Kellogg Campus
6404 N Lossing Rd
Palmer, AK 99645
*Electronic application packets will be accepted. Hard copy must follow via Priority Mail.